Not just food but these 2 yoga poses can also help your body to detoxPosted on:8 July 2021, 13:30pm IST
We all talk about lifestyle problems like dull skin, hair fall, fatigue, gut issues, and so on. But we don’t realize that all this is happening to us, because we barely pay attention to detoxifying ourselves. Of course, food plays a huge role in removing toxins from your body, but there’s another way that you can utilise. Yoga has a lot of poses that are helpful to detox your body. But there are two moves that rule the roost.
We are talking about surya namaskar and pranayama, two yoga poses that detox not just your body, but mind as well. You see, regular practice of yoga purifies your mind and body, helping you to enjoy life to the fullest. While we all have occasional binges and excesses, yoga brings balance to your system through daily routine. Cleanse your system through breathing techniques in a clean and natural environment.
“Include surya namaskar or sun salutation to your exercise regimen and try to perform 5-11 cycles every day. Dedicate a minimum of five minutes to your meditation practice; these are easy solutions to counter an unhealthy lifestyle, poor diet, irregular sleep etc.,” suggests yoga expert Grand Master Akshar.
Now, let’s see how each one of these poses can help you detox.
Surya namaskar – The king of all poses
One complete surya namaskar cycle is made of 24 counts, which includes eight asanas done in a scientific, sequential process. There are 12 counts for each side (right and left), and this makes the surya namaskar or sun salutation a complete body workout. Surya namaskar works on flexibility, stamina, and core strengthening etc. It can be done by people of all ages and fitness levels. It is best practised early in the morning on an empty stomach, but surya namaskar can be performed at any time of the day.
Steps to perform the surya namaskar
Sun salutation is a sequence of multiple yoga poses and it goes like this:
Asana 1: Pranam asana (prayer pose)
Asana 2: Hasta uttanasana (raised arm pose)
Asana 3: Padahastasana (standing forward bend)
Asana 4: Ashwa sanchalanasana (equestrian pose)
Asana 5: Santolanasana (plank Pose)
Asana 6: Ashtanga namaskar asana (eight limbed salutation)
Asana 7: Bhujangasana (cobra pose)
Asana 8: Adho mukha svanasana (downward dog pose)
Asana 9: Ashwa sanchalanasana (equestrian pose)
Asana 10: Padahastasana (standing forward bend)
Asana 11: Hasta uttanasana (raised arm pose)
Asana 12: Pranam asana (prayer pose)
Benefits of surya namaskar:
- It makes your immune system stronger.
- The whole nervous system is awakened and activated, once you start doing surya namaskar.
- It helps in reducing blood sugar levels.
- It reduces stress as well.
- It improves digestion and reduces constipation.
- It also eliminates stomach ailments.
- Lastly, it promotes balance in the body.
Bhastrika pranayama – The deep breathing miracle
Steps to perform bhastrika pranayam
- Sit in any comfortable pose (sukhasana, ardha padmasana or padmasana)
- Straighten your back
- Close your eyes
- Place your palms on your knees in prapthi mudra
- Inhale and fill your lungs with air
- Exhale completely
- Inhalation and exhalation should be done in a 1:1 ratio. For example, if you breathe in for six counts, you must take six counts to exhale.
Benefits of bhastrika pranayam
- It cleanses the entire body and releases toxins.
- It also improves the lung’s breathing capacity.
- Bhastrika pranayam helps in reducing the excess fat in the body.
- It improves digestion as well.
- It regulates the nervous system and reduces the risk of cognitive problems.
- Lastly, it helps in blood purification.
Bhastrika pranayama can be done by anyone; it is a powerful technique to clean up your body of toxins. Combine a consistent yoga routine, and modify your diet to include fibre in the form of fruits and vegetables regularly. Drink plenty of clean water and try to consume homemade food. Yoga can also be a great way to bond with your loved ones. With a regular morning practice, you can build your immunity, and keep your metabolism high throughout the day.
So, start doing these yoga poses now and give your body a complete detox.