Those who are trying to get fit often look for inspiration all around them. For some it’s that girl next door who lost 20 kilos by brisk walking everyday. For others, it’s that glam influencer on Instagram who makes doing burpees as easy as slurping on ice cream. And one such influencer who makes everything effortless is Malaika Arora.
While many of us are in awe of Malaika’s fashion sense–the woman makes wearing yoga pants also shaadi-party worthy–she is also the definition of fitspo. If you don’t believe us, then check out this post from Malaika’s Instagram:
View this post on Instagram
Here, Malaika can be seen doing the reclining pigeon pose–albeit a modified version. Also known as supta kapotasana, it alleviates muscle tension in the lower back, hips, and hamstrings. It is also known to stretch the lower body and aid digestion.
Wondering how you can do Malaika’s version of this pose at home?
Why, hello there yoga beginner. If the super-fit Malaika has inspired you to bring out that yoga mat and try this pose, then let these easy steps help:
1. Lie on your back with your knees bent and your thighs parallel to each other, hip-width apart.
2. Bring your left ankle to your right thigh, close to the knee.
3. Pull your right knee towards your chest and clasp the back of your right leg with your arms, so as to form a triangle.
4. Now, straighten your right leg and bring your head up, towards the left shin. You should be able to feel a nice stretch in your left glute and right hamstring. Note: Stretch only as much as your body allows.
5. Switch legs and repeat on the other side.
A note of caution for all beginners
Since Malaika Arora has been training for years (hence the near-damn-perfect asanas), you WILL NOT be able to achieve her stance quickly or easily. It takes years of practice to get an asana right. So, ensure that you don’t overdo it.