Stretching is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle, and incorporating a full-body stretch into your morning routine can have many benefits. Not only does it help to loosen up the muscles and joints after a night of sleep, but it can also improve flexibility, circulation and overall well-being. This is what Bollywood actor and yoga enthusiast Shilpa Shetty Kundra believes. She says that practicing Urdhva Mukha Pasasana or Thread The Needle pose is a great way to include full body stretching in your routine. Let’s take a look at the benefits of doing a full body stretch in the morning and how this yoga pose can help.
Starting the day with a good stretch can help to increase blood flow and oxygen to the muscles, which can help to reduce feelings of fatigue and stiffness. Additionally, stretching in the morning can help to improve posture and prevent muscle imbalances, which can lead to pain and injury over time. It also helps to reduce stress and anxiety, which can set a positive tone for the day ahead.
In a recent Instagram post, Shilpa Shetty is seen doing the Urdhva Mukha Pasasana. She highly recommends it for full body stretching, and adds that “it is an excellent way to start your morning stretching routine as it targets the upper and mid-back, cervical, shoulders, and rotator cuff muscles.”
One of the significant benefits of Urdhva Mukha Pasasana is that it helps to relieve tension in the upper and mid-back muscles, which can become tight from sitting or standing for extended periods. This pose also helps to stretch the cervical and shoulder muscles, which can become tight from poor posture and stress.
Another benefit of this pose is that it helps to stretch the hip joint, pelvic and adductor muscles, which can become tight from sitting for prolonged periods. This stretch can help to improve flexibility and reduce the risk of hip and pelvic pain.
1. Take a mat and start by being in a dog pose, that is being on all fours with your arms and back straight.
2. The next step is to lift your right arm up towards the ceiling and twist your body to look up at it.
3. Then bring your hand down and take it between your legs and your left hand to stretch your arm towards the left. Make sure you twist your body to the left as well and your head is touching the floor.
4. Keep your right palm facing upward and bring your left foot to tap on it. While doing this make sure your leg and arm are both stretched in a straight line.
5. Then gently retract your arm and leg to come back on all fours and then repeat the same on the other side.
6. Do this exercise for 10 minutes before ending it with a child’s pose to cool down.
With regular practice, this pose can help to relieve tension, improve flexibility, and reduce the risk of pain and injury. So next time you wake up in the morning, take a few minutes to stretch your body, and see how it can set a positive tone for the rest of your day!
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker