When we start hitting the gym, we feel so excited that we forget to take it slow, especially if we are a newbie. But most of us can’t contain our happiness and tend to do everything that we know, and end up waking up with stiff muscles the very next day.
Sore muscles are a big concern because it definitely means you cannot hit the gym for at least a week, and then the whole motivation gets dumped in a bin. Sad!
But do you know that if you keep a small device called a massage gun handy with you then you will almost shoo sore muscles away? Yes our friend, it is a proven fact that post-workout, if you use a massage gun on the muscles that you target, it can help in relaxing them. This simply means that the possibility of having sore muscles trickles down to almost zero. Isn’t it cool?
Come, let’s see how this small tool can make a big difference in your fitness routine.
A massage gun is a portable device that looks like a power drill and when turned on and placed on muscles, it promotes recovery from workouts. Technically, they are supposed to be used within 48 hours of a workout. So, delaying its usage can literally lead to stiffness in muscles.
Fitness and nutrition expert Sonia Bakshi from DtF says that a massage gun is an amazing find. If you are into fitness, she recommends you to have it. She lists some benefits of massage gun:
1. Stiffness in muscles is basically caused when the blood flow is restricted. This happens because post-workout there is hardly any movement in a day. Massage gun increases blood circulation which allows more oxygen to reach the muscles and hence relaxes your muscles.
2. They heal atrophied muscles and allow faster healing with more flexibility.
3. “Using a massage gun under the permissible time can also calm down the body because it helps in the release of lactic acid build up in the body after intense exercise,” says Sonia Bakshi.
4. Massage gun relieves stress and relaxes the body by releasing tension and fluid deep in the muscles to increase tissue metabolism.
5. They deeply massage collagen fibers to relieve constriction and alleviate pain.
However, it is important to know that a massage gun should not be used if one is hurt and has any sort of swelling. If used, it can make the injury worse and further damage the injured tissue, or even increase the swelling. This will delay healing time and may cause more pain.
“People with hypertension (high BP), arthritis, varicose veins, autoimmune conditions (lupus, multiple sclerosis, etc), or those with muscle disorders should refrain from using a massage gun. Also, it should not be used on joints, bones, and any part of the spine. Use it only after a workout and not more than 2 minutes per muscle group,” recommends Sonia Bakshi.
So, stop ditching the gym just because your muscles are sore. Just press a massage gun against the muscles and let the magic begin!
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker