There are times when you don’t feel like stepping out of the house and working out. Whether it is going for a walk outside or running on a treadmill in a gym, you just don’t feel up for it. This especially happens when you just want to be a couch potato and watch your favourite movie or show on TV. What if we tell you that you can do exercises while watching TV? Yes, it is possible to do some movements while watching drama, horror, comedy or romantic movies or shows on the small screen.
If you aren’t a gym regular and often find yourself sitting in front of the TV for an hour-long soap opera, remember that there are side effects of binge-watching. So, it may be best to couple it with some exercises too.
Health Shots reached out to fitness expert Robin Behl to know about exercises that can be done while watching TV.
Pilates is a great combination of both stretching and cardio. It is a form of strength building exercise that does not require much equipment, and can easily be practiced by beginners on their bodyweight, suggests Behl of The Tribe. Single leg circle happens to be a great Pilates exercise.
• Lay down flat on your mat.
• Extend your leg as straight as possible.
• Lift your leg straight up and down and maintain balance while doing so.
• Repeat the same steps on your other leg. Also, ensure that your back is straight and not arched.
If you are looking for all-rounder exercise for any age group, yoga is the perfect choice. It is something that helps you physically, mentally and even spiritually, says the expert. While it is suggested to practice yoga in the morning, Behl believes that a workout done at any time is better than no workout done at all. So, a slow 30-minute yoga session is a good way to begin, especially if you have muscle or joint problems. Tadasana is simple and great for your body too.
• Stand with your feet separated.
• Straighten and lengthen your spine while tucking the pelvis in.
• Roll your shoulders away and down from your ears. Bring your shoulder blades as close as you can.
• Inhale and swing your arms over your head and lengthen your torso.
• Press the soles of your feet firmly into the floor and breathe.
• In the end, lift your heels and come on your toes.
Sitting idle can be detrimental for your health. It is a dance workout, which is basic and fun. It only needs a little bit of practice which you can do whenever you are free. Dance workout helps to release the happy hormones, and also helps in keeping you healthy and fit.
It is performed as a HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workout. HIIT focuses on compound movements repeated in sets and is a pretty extensive amount of cardio. It helps to keep your metabolic rate high throughout the day to burn more calories.
• Stand upright with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at your sides.
• Jump your feet out while raising your arms then repeat as fast as possible.
• If a regular jumping jack is too difficult for you then step side-to-side while raising your arms instead.
Keep an idea of your risk of weight-related issues.Check BMI
This also comes under HIIT, and can be done while watching TV.
From a bird’s eye view, all of these exercises help in building your stamina and increasing your metabolism. So, instead of sitting with a bowl of popcorn and watching your favourite show or movie, move a little.