There are two things you should never put up with when it comes to your relationship: Toxic behaviour and well, toxic eating habits.
Remember the day you promised your beloved you’d stick with him through thick and thin? Just to remind you, the ‘thick and thin’ meant happy and sad times. So, really, you don’t have to put up with your partner’s unhealthy eating habits and especially so if they’re making you ‘thicker’ than you used to be.
If you have a hardcore foodie as your life partner like I do, staying fit can seem like a far-fetched dream. After all, it requires Milkha Singh’s level of determination to say no to that tub of ice cream or cheesy pizza.
Basically, when you’re surrounded by tempting junk at all times, no amount of exercise can save you from gaining those extra pounds. However, if you’re wise about it, you can save your rear from carrying the weight of it all. Here’s what you can do:
1. Keep healthy alternatives ready for ‘Netflix and chill’ time: This one’s tried and tested, ladies. Chop potato into thin, round slices, brush them with a few drops of olive oil, and put them in the air fryer for five minutes. You’ll get the goodness of potassium from the crispy potatoes minus the pain of additional fat from deep frying.
Once you’ve successfully replaced the fries, get on to replacing the buttered popcorn. Simply cook the corn kernels in a pressure cooker, avoiding any addition of salt and butter. You can also opt for roasting some makhanas in a pan or the air fryer. Enjoy the crunchy snack while watching your favourite movie. Additionally, replacing momos and pasta with home-made snacks like homemade idlis, poha, and chapati tacos can help you a great deal as well.
2. Add adventure to your quality-time: Surely, nothing beats the happiness of simply cozying up in a quilt and watching television with your partner with some comfort food along with love to share. But won’t this lose its charm if that’s all you two do?
How about going for a long drive and having a non-sweetened paan instead of a plate of kebabs? Paan leaves are rich in calcium and aid digestion. You can even try activities like paintballing, indoor rock climbing, swimming, cycling, a push-up competition, or some in-room dancing with your partner for a change. Trust me, it works like magic and you will have no time to think about food.
3. Mark the limits clearly: Communication can solve some of the biggest problems in the world. Then, what makes you think it can’t solve the eating-habits disparity between you and your love? Speak up and tell him politely about your healthy-eating goals and he will understand. Come on, ladies, the guy loves you enough to be supportive and not tempt you with food.
4. Be an inspiration: Actions speak louder than words. So, nothing is better than showing your willpower for once and not giving in to the tempting food that your partner orders every once in a while. You can have a meal together but on different plates and different portions.
Enjoy that pasta with him, but have controlled portions of it. Let him order a burger but settle for a plate of salad on that dinner date. Gradually, he will understand that you are conscious about your health and will definitely respect you for it. And who knows, watching you practice self-control might just inspire him to get conscious about his eating habits too!
5. Share a big breakfast together: Not only can sharing the first meal of the day with your partner strengthen your bond but eating a big breakfast can stop both of you from giving in to food cravings/temptations throughout the day.
Y’all know how several studies have hailed breakfast as the wonder meal that can help you eat consciously throughout the day, right? It’s time to bring this theory to practice, now.
6. Get into a disciplined routine: There’s no denying the fact that late-night conversations with your man are the most romantic and deep ones. But the later you sleep, the more likely you are to indulge in some unnecessary post-dinner snacking.
If you make this into a habit and sleep late with a belly full of junk, even God can’t save you from losing sight of your fitness goals. Get into a proper routine because being unhealthy and unsatisfied with your body will hamper your relationship too.
7. Put up motivational pictures alongside your couple pictures: Your room must be full of pictures of you and your beloved standing together, smiling at each other—basically, all the reminders of the happy times you’ve spent together.
How about adding health reminders along with these happy memories? Add posters of motivational health quotes to your room walls because reading them on a regular basis can help you remember your goals—especially when you’re in a mood to give in to temptation.
8. Stock up wisely: When you go grocery shopping, try to bring less of chips, instant noodle packets, namkeen, and other unhealthy snacks that you and your partner end up binge-eating.
The lack of these options in the kitchen will leave you with no choice but to make and eat something healthy—a win, win for both of you.
When you’re in a relationship, it is important to remember that you are an independent individual with your own identity and requirements, health or otherwise. Never force your partner to go on a certain diet change with you but never stop yourself from changing your eating habits either when you start feeling the need to. Take care of yourself to take care of your partner.