‘Do the new’ is the mantra to abide by, because it always keeps you charged and inspires you to go beyond the ordinary. And it looks like Malaika Arora swears by it and how! That’s because in her latest Insta post, she has performed a yoga pose that might look like a cakewalk, but guess what? It’s not easy in any way!
So, what is this pose? Well, it is called eka pada ashtanga namaskara aka eight-limb salutation or caterpillar pose. Yes, it’s another way to say namaste but with a twist of yoga.
Basically, from your chin to toes, almost all your body parts are engaged, when you perform this pose. No wonder, it is a great way to not just tone your body but to stay in the pink of health.
We know Malaika’s love for yoga, and it totally reflects in her posts she shares.
For this one she wrote:
“This week’s pose is eka pada ashtanga namaskara. It helps to boost energy in the body, while improving your core strength. It also helps you get stronger arms and enhances body awareness.”
View this post on Instagram
1. Start at the tabletop position. Keep your knees together and wrist under your shoulders.
2. Exhale. Bend your elbows and drop your chest between your palms and chin on the floor.
3. Inhale. Lift your left leg off the floor as much as you can.
4. Bend your right knee and keep your right foot under your left knee, giving support to your left leg.
5. Hold for 10-15 seconds and repeat on the opposite side.
Salutations have a great significance in yoga. Plus, they are the best way to loosen up your body, as they ensure every muscle gets some action.
Here are some more benefits of doing the eight-limb salutation.
1. It helps in tightening your core, and makes it stronger too.
2. If you have a stiff body, you must do this pose to boost flexibility.
3. It also helps in increasing the range of motion.
4. It helps in strengthening your arms and shoulders.
5. We hardly pay attention to our toes, but doing eka pada ashtanga namaskara will help in toe stretching, improving your overall performance.
6. It flexes your hip muscles to the fullest.
7. Your quads and hamstrings also play a major role and are stretched to the right extent.
8. Check out the position of your arms in this pose. You will see that they are arched in a way that your traps and rhomboids are flexed to their maximum. Trust us, this will help with a super toned back and a firm spine.
So ladies, try it out and if you are uncomfortable or feel pain anywhere in your body, drop it right away.