Crunches feature at the top of every list, when it comes to toning your belly. There are multiple variations that are available, but if there’s one that works on both your abs and obliques at the same time — it has to be crossover crunches.
Yes, we know you’re a little cynical about doing these crunches (cause backache), but these are not going to give you any of those problems. In fact, these crossover crunches might help you deal with them. This move includes resting one leg on the other, which means your spine gets extra support. Due to this, you don’t experience back pain or strain on the neck.
Also, this move includes doing a crisscross with your elbow and knee – and that gives your core more extension and contraction. That’s why it’s the best exercise for those who are trying to get rid of their love handles.
So come, let’s learn the move.
1. You need your yoga mat to do crossover crunches. Lie flat on the mat, with your body positioned in a straight line.
2. Now place your hands behind your head, and ensure that your elbows are out and not pointing towards the roof.
3. Next, inhale as you cross your left leg over your right, resting your left ankle and your right knee.
4. Now, slowly exhale while lifting up and contract your abdominal muscles (similar to a basic crunch).
5. Slowly twist your torso to your left, as you squeeze your abs, bringing your right elbow to your left knee, until they touch.
6. Now inhale as you slowly lower your upper body back down to the mat.
Once you’re done with the reps with one leg (left/right), switch legs and repeat the reps. The good part about crossover crunches is that anyone can do it. But you need to be aware of the numbers too, based on your fitness levels!
Beginners can do 15 reps with each leg, and four sets. If you’re at an intermediate level, do 25 reps with each leg and 4 sets. Lastly, all the pros can do 30 reps with each leg and four sets.
So ladies, are you ready for this transformational exercise?