Listen to this article
The very mention of petroleum jelly makes you think of harsh, dry winter–isn’t it? Most of us have turned to this good ol’ beauty product to soothe itchy and flaky skin in the cold months. But there’s good news: it works well for all seasons. Yes, you heard it right!
Contrary to popular perception, you don’t have to stop yourself from slathering petroleum jelly in warm weather. This versatile product is the answer to all your skin problems, be it dealing with a tan, dull skin or chapped lips!
Here’s what it can do:
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate: Prolonged sun exposure and sitting for long hours in an air-conditioned environment can rob your skin off its natural moisture. And that means fine lines, wrinkles, and dull skin! That’s exactly why petroleum must be your go-to product – it hydrates your skin like no other, making you look flawless.
“Petroleum jelly can make your skin soft and supple by forming a protective layer over the skin, and sealing the moisture inside,” says Dr Bhavuk Mittal, dermatologist and managing director, Ojas Skin, Hair and Laser Clinic, Ghaziabad.
However, refrain from using petroleum jelly as it is, if you suffer from oily or acne-prone skin. Instead, mix a pinch of this beauty product with your regular moisturiser, before applying petroleum jelly to your face.
2. Banishes all kinds of dryness: The heat can leave your elbows and knees dry and flaky, and your lips severely chapped. In such cases, Dr. Mittal recommends applying petroleum jelly directly on to these areas. After all, it helps to lock in moisture, and makes these rough parts smooth again!
3. Softens cuticles: Blame it on frequent hand washing or just the AC exposure, warm weather tends to make the hands and well—the cuticles dry, due to which the skin around your fingernails feels cracked and irritated.
Manicures can help temporarily, but once the effect wears off, dryness makes a return. Fret not, just rubbing a small amount of petroleum jelly on your hands and cuticles every night will serve you well!
4. Moisturises and nourishes cracked heels: Applying a generous layer of petroleum jelly to washed, dry feet at night before bedtime, can help seal moisture into cracked heels. It might take some time but it will restore its softness after a few uses!
5. Relieves rashes: Exercising in hot, sticky weather means you end up with chafed thighs. Now that doesn’t mean you stop working out! Instead, clean the area, pat it dry, and apply some petroleum jelly over the rashes.
It will simply form a protective layer over the rash, cut off the extra moisture, and prevent bacterial growth. Pro tip: Try doing this at night instead of daytime!
In a nutshell, using petroleum jelly every single day keeps skin issues at bay!