Smooth, hair-free legs and arms are no less a beauty standard than an uber-fit body and glowing, spot-free skin. Those are the kinds we often see in television ads, but which are far from the reality of many women out there. Well, when it comes to hair removal among women, shaving has been considered a technique that leaves your skin feeling smoother and softer. Even though shaving may be a simpler method, most women opt for waxing because waxing inhibits hair growth by removing it from the roots. That means the hair takes longer to regrow. However, we’re going to give some reasons why using a razor for hair removal can be better for you.
Shaving with a razor is more of a trim, only removing hair from the surface of the skin and leaving the root intact. Women of all ages can shave to enjoy smooth and hair-free legs, armpits, face, and bikini lines.
Dr Nivedita Dadu, renowned dermatologist, founder and chairman of Dr Nivedita Dadu’s Dermatology Clinic, spoke to Health Shots about the possible benefits of shaving with a razor.
Dr Dadu says, “One can choose between depilatory creams, shaving, epilation, laser hair removal, and waxing. Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. But among all these methods, shaving with a razor is the most popular and simple.” Shaving with a razor cuts hair off at the skin’s surface.
1. Unlike waxing, shaving with the right razor and in the correct manner will not damage the skin or lead to skin problems.
2. When razors are used in the correct direction with an adequate amount of pressure, they will not cut you. Waxing can cause rashes and redness.
3. Contrary to popular belief, facial hair does not grow back or get thicker when you shave. It feels thick and coarse when it initially pokes through the skin, but the entire follicle does not grow out like that.
Also, read: Want to get rid of pubic hair at home? Here are 5 easy ways
4. Shaving with a razor is a quick and time-saving method for hair removal, while waxing takes more time and may take longer to heal as well in case there’s a rash.
5. It does not hurt and does not require professional assistance, so you can do it yourself. Waxing can be DIY too but it is much more cumbersome.
6. Shaving also works as an exfoliation method to remove surface cells.
7. Shaving is much easier to perform on a day-to-day basis for the underarms, legs, and bikini area.
Shaving, as compared to waxing, is a more accessible and affordable means of hair removal. It can be done as often as necessary, but keep in mind that more frequent shaving can cause irritation to sensitive skin.
After shaving with a razor, you may feel a little dryness and itchiness on the skin, but you can easily get rid of these by proper moisturization and not going under the sun immediately after shaving.
Shaving is more prone to the appearance of in-grown hair and undergrowth. Ingrown hair can cause tiny, swollen bumps on the skin that may hurt.
Note: You should always avoid using another’s razor, as doing so can lead to infections.
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker