You may have an elaborate day and night skincare routine for your face and arms. But do you take care of your feet that much? Whether you agree or not, your feet are the most neglected part of your body. But there are all the reasons why you should be taking care of it equally.
Your feet get exposed to dirt and dust the most and have a tendency to get dehydrated which can make your skin really dry. To understand why scrubbing is important we got in touch with Dr Priyanka Reddy, dermatologist, technologist and Founder at the DNA skin clinic, Bangalore.
Dr Reddy told us that the constant sun exposure, dry air, dust and pollution can cause major dryness. Bathing in warm water and excessive use of soap also contributes to dry feet.
“The skin on our feet is much thicker as compared to the rest of the body and when it dries out, it can become very hard. And since our feet are often neglected, conditions like cracked heels and calluses can occur which can be very painful,” says Dr Reddy.
Dr Reddy pointed out the importance of scrubbing feet regularly:
1. It prevents situations like cracked heels and gives you smooth skin.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
2. Apart from removing dead cells, a good foot scrub also boosts blood circulation.
3. Improved blood circulation relieves aches and pains and is also a great stress reliever.
4. Since we tend to sweat a lot during humid weather, this combined with exposure to dust can give you fungal infections. Scrubbing feet regularly can keep infections at bay.
5. Accumulation of dead skin can lead to the formation of corns and calluses which can be a painful condition which can give rise to gait issues. So regular exfoliation will also keep this in check.
So now you know all the benefits of scrubbing, let’s make some easy foot scrubs at home!
1. Sugar and olive oil foot scrub
Take equal parts of olive oil and granulated sugar and mix them together. You can also add essential oils if you want to. Scrub your feet with this mixture and leave it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
Sugar is the best exfoliant and we all know it, and olive oil has great moisturising properties. When combined, both ingredients work like magic.
2. Coffee and coconut oil scrub
Take about 2 tbsp of coffee and 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Mix them together and form a thick paste. Use it to scrub and massage your feet–et voila!
Coffee is a great way to exfoliate your skin. The caffeine in it also increases blood circulation. Coconut has nourishing properties and prevents your feet from drying out.
So, try these DIY foot scrubs and keep your feet happy and healthy!