Surprising health and beauty benefits of green tea by Shahnaz Husain!Published on: 21 January 2022, 09:00 am IST
In recent times, so much importance is being given to green tea. Present-day research has also revealed innumerable benefits of it for both health and beauty. Just drinking green tea is said to be preferable than any other beverage, due to its high antioxidant content. It contains polyphenols, which are powerful natural antioxidants.
These not only have health benefits, but actually help to delay the visible signs of ageing on skin and hair. They prevent and retard the degeneration caused by oxidation damage.
Recent studies carried out by Cancer Prevention Research have also shown that green tea may lower the chances of prostate cancer. This is due to an active component in it known as ‘catechins.’ The studies show that catechins actually reduce cancer cell growth and even simulate the death of the cancer cells. The way green tea leaves are processed also helps, because its leaves are steamed, which helps in preventing catechins from oxidising.
Drinking green tea daily seems to be a good option for you, because it has great benefits for health. For instance, regularly drinking a cup of it is said to help in weight loss. It increases fat oxidation and eliminates excess water from the body. It is also said to lower cholesterol levels due to the presence of tannins and also lowers blood pressure. However, those who are on medication for such ailments should not discontinue medication without consulting the doctor.
Another benefit of green tea is its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Drinking it actually benefits the teeth and refreshes the breath. Green tea mouthwashes are also available in the market. You can make a cup of it with one tea bag and rinse your mouth with the concoction. You can also make a paste of green tea leaves and mix it with baking soda. Use it on the teeth like tooth powder and also massage your gums with it.
Along with these, green tea also has many beauty benefits.
Here are two ways to use green tea for skin care:
- Ground almonds, green tea leaves and curd will make a good facial and body scrub. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and can be used to control acne conditions.
- Make a powder of green tea leaves and mix it with a little cinnamon powder and lemon juice into a paste. Apply this on the areas with eruptions and wash off with plain water after 20 minutes.
- Moreover, tea bags, used as eye pads, help to reduce puffiness around eyes and induce relaxation. It is said to help reduce stress. Steep the tea bags in hot water. Allow them to cool and use them as eye pads.
Here’s how you can use green tea to treat your hair and nail problems:
- Take a green tea bag and a cup of hot water to make a hair tonic. You can even add a little lemon juice to it. Apply it on the scalp with a ball of cotton wool and leave on for 20 minutes. It is also said to help control hair loss and condition the hair, as it contains Vitamins C and E. This tea not only restores health to the hair and softens it, but also adds a healthy shine.
- To use it as a hair rinse after shampoo, boil 4 to 5 cups of water. Put tea leaves in a bowl and add the hot water to it. Cool and strain. Add the juice of a lemon and use it as a last rinse after shampoo.
- In fact, soaking your fingers in a cup of tea helps to add shine to the nails.
- It is also said to prevent hair loss, if it is taken daily. It also makes a useful hair tonic and remedy for scalp conditions like dandruff. Research indicates that it can also help to soothe the scalp in conditions like psoriasis and dandruff. Use it as a last rinse after shampoo.