A coffee face mask can benefit every skin type! Here’s how
Coffee never fails us as a morning alarm. It not only keeps us awake, but also works well on our skin. Women with dry skin and normal skin can enjoy the benefits of coffee face masks at home. They are also great for skin whitening and removing blackheads! You just need to pair coffee with the right ingredients to make your own face mask. A popular cosmetic dermatologist suggests how to make coffee face masks for different skin types and skin problems.
A quick online search will give you many options on how to make coffee face masks to nourish and brighten your skin.
Getting more specific, Health Shots checked with Dr Jaishree Sharad, a popular cosmetic dermatologist, author, TEDx speaker and founder of Skinfiniti Aesthetic Skin and Laser Clinic in Mumbai, to find out how women with different skin types and needs can make coffee face masks.
Coffee face mask for blackheads
Coffee has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, so it may help in unclogging pores and reducing blackheads. However, it will not help to get rid of acne. It is better to avoid coffee masks or any home remedies when you suffer from pimples, nodules and cysts, says the expert. You may use a coffee mask to reduce blackheads and mild post-acne marks.
Method to make coffee face mask for blackheads
• If you have a few blackheads or whiteheads, mix two tablespoons of ground coffee and pure aloe vera gel.
• Apply it on your face and keep it for 10 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
Coffee face mask for skin whitening
As caffeine has anti-oxidant properties, it protects skin from the harmful effects of UVA and UVB rays. It also helps to reduce the pigment melanin in the skin. Hence, it helps in reducing hyperpigmentation, blemishes and dark spots.
Method to make coffee face mask for skin whitening
• For skin whitening, Dr Sharad says mix one tablespoon of coffee powder, one tablespoon of yogurt (benefits of yogurt) and a teaspoon of turmeric. Stir it to make a lump-free well consistent mixture.
• Apply this paste on your face and leave it for 15 minutes.
• Rinse your face with lukewarm water and follow it up with a moisturiser and sunscreen.
Coffee face mask for dry skin
Try not to use coffee masks alone. Mix it moisturising ingredients and apply if you have dry skin so that your skin feels soft and smooth. Coffee has anti-inflammatory properties, but when you use it on dry skin, do it only under a dermatologist’s supervision.
Method to make coffee face mask for dry skin
• Mix a tablespoon of freshly ground coffee with a teaspoon of cold pressed coconut oil or almond oil.
• Apply it on your face and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. Then gently scrub it and remove it with lukewarm water.
Coffee face mask for normal skin
If you have normal skin, you can use coffee face masks to help to even out skin tone, reduce blemishes if there are any and improve the skin radiance.
Method to make coffee face mask for normal skin
• The expert suggests to mix freshly ground coffee with a tablespoon of honey.
• When you apply it on your face and neck, make sure that it’s evenly spread out. Rinse it with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
Honey has moisturising and anti-inflammatory properties as well, so the combination will leave your skin soft, supple and radiant. It will also lighten blemishes and remove skin tan.