Tired of the same old chemical hair dyes wreaking havoc on your precious tresses? If you are seeking a healthier and more natural way to either hide grey strands or add vibrance to your hair, embrace the age-old secret of henna for hair colouring. We bring you the best henna powders for hair colour. This magical herb has been used for centuries to provide rich, long-lasting colour while also offering deep conditioning benefits. In this article, we bring you the best henna powders available, carefully selected for their purity, effectiveness, and ease of use.
Henna, scientifically known as Lawsonia inermis, is a natural dye derived from the leaves of the henna plant, a small, shrubby tree that grows in warm climates across Africa, Northern Australia, and Southern Asia. For centuries, henna has been revered in various cultures for its unique colouring properties and has found extensive use in traditional rituals, especially in weddings and celebrations.
The leaves of the henna plant contain lawsone, a natural colourant that binds to protein, making it ideal for dyeing hair, skin, and even fabrics. When henna leaves are dried and crushed into a fine powder, they release this pigment, which imparts a distinctive reddish-brown hue. The intensity and shade of the colour can vary based on factors like the origin of the henna, how long it’s left on, and the natural colour of the hair or skin. Besides its colouring properties, henna is also appreciated for its conditioning and nourishing effects on hair, making it a popular choice for those seeking a natural alternative to chemical dyes.
Colouring your hair with henna isn’t just about aesthetics. It is also a holistic hair care approach. Here are a few reasons why in a henna vs synthetic hair dyes fight, you should choose the former.
1. No chemical: Say goodbye to harsh chemicals that can damage your hair. Henna offers a natural alternative, free from ammonia and other harmful additives.
2. Healthier hair: Henna isn’t just about colouring. It is an organic hair treatment in itself. It strengthens your hair, making it less prone to breakage.
3. Gorgeous shine: Yes, henna also lends your hair a brilliant shine, making it look healthy and radiant.
4. Long-lasting colour: While chemical dyes fade, the colour of henna gives you a vibrant and long-lasting hue.
Khadi Natural Herbal Henna Organic Powder is your go-to choice for a hair colouring experience that’s as natural as it gets. This 100 percent organic henna powder is crafted with care to give you vibrant and long-lasting hair colour. This 100g pack, boasting a vibrant green hue, is a testament to its purity and herbal goodness. Specially formulated as an herbal hair colour, this natural henna powder is ideal for all hair types. Free from harsh chemicals, it ensures a gentle yet effective colouring experience. Perfect for those looking to cover greys or add a natural shine to their locks, this henna powder not only colours but also nourishes the hair, leaving it soft, shiny, and healthy.
This kit is a holistic hair-colouring experience. It combines the power of henna, amla and indigo to give you a unique shade. If you want to colour your hair with the best quality henna powder, embrace Kama Ayurveda’s Natural Organic Hair Color Kit for stunning, multi-dimensional hair. The henna works wonders in nourishing your hair, making it shiny, soft, and silky. Ideal for anyone seeking a natural hair colouring solution, this kit is packed with the goodness of Ayurveda, ensuring your hair remains healthy and vibrant.
Jiva Ayurveda’s Henna Hair Care Powder is a powerhouse of Ayurvedic herbs like amla and shikakai. It not only colours and gives you grey coverage, but also strengthens your hair. Get ready to flaunt those silky, shiny locks. This unique Mehendi formulation not only imparts a rich colour but also plays a pivotal role in controlling hair fall and repairing damaged hair. Infused with natural ingredients, it revitalises your hair, making it strong and lustrous. This pack is an excellent choice for those looking to enhance their hair health naturally.
VLCC’s Natural & Herbal Henna is a blend of natural ingredients that nourish your hair while colouring it beautifully. It’s perfect for those looking for vibrant, natural-looking hair. This henna is made for those who value natural hair care solutions. It colours the hair beautifully while imparting the therapeutic properties of herbs. Suitable for all hair types, this henna blend ensures a non-damaging and enriching hair colouring experience, leaving your hair vibrant and full of life.
This henna powder is enriched with bhringraj and jatamansi. These ingredients are renowned for their hair-enhancing properties. With this henna powder for hair colouring, you will treat your hair to a spa-like experience. This 200-pack is a one-stop solution for natural hair colouring and nourishment. It not only lends a beautiful natural colour to your hair but also strengthens and conditions it.
Using the best henna powder is generally considered safe for your hair and scalp, especially when compared to synthetic hair dyes. It’s a natural alternative that has been used for centuries in various cultures. However, there are a few aspects to consider to ensure its safe use:
1. Natural henna vs. compound henna: Pure henna is made solely from the leaves of the Lawsonia inermis plant and is usually safe. However, ‘compound henna’ products may contain additives like metallic salts, chemicals, or PPD (p-Phenylenediamine), which can be harmful and cause allergic reactions. Always choose 100% natural henna to avoid these risks.
2. Allergies and sensitivity: Although rare, some people may be allergic to natural henna. It’s always a good idea to do a patch test on a small skin area 24 hours before applying it to your hair.
3. Condition of hair and scalp: If you have a dry scalp or dry, brittle hair, henna might exacerbate these conditions since it can be drying. In such cases, adding hydrating ingredients like egg, yoghurt, or oils to your henna mix can help.
4. Scalp health: Henna has natural antifungal and antimicrobial properties, which can be beneficial for scalp health, helping to soothe issues like dandruff.
Here are some tips to help you choose the best henna powder:
1. Purity and ingredients: Look for 100% pure henna powder, free from additives, chemicals, or metallic salts. The only ingredient should be Lawsonia inermis leaf powder. Avoid products labelled as ‘compound henna’, which may contain other ingredients that can be harmful to your hair and scalp.
2. Freshness: Fresh henna powder is more potent and provides better dye release. Check for the packaging date. Fresh henna is typically greenish in colour and has a fine texture. As it ages, it becomes brownish and loses efficacy.
3. Colour results: Different henna powders can give varying colour results, from orange to deep red or burgundy. Read reviews or check user photos to understand the colour yield of a particular henna powder, keeping in mind that the final colour also depends on your original hair colour.
4. Fineness: The powder should be finely sifted. Coarse henna can be difficult to rinse out and may not release colour as effectively.
5. User reviews and recommendations: Look at user reviews and testimonials, especially from those who have a similar hair type or colour to yours. Recommendations from natural hair care forums or communities can also be valuable.
6. Certifications: Certifications like organic, cruelty-free, or natural can be an indicator of quality. However, they are not always necessary for the product to be pure and effective.
7. Testing: If possible, do a strand test using a sample of the henna powder to ensure it suits your hair and gives the desired colour.
So ladies, it’s time to ditch those chemical-laden hair colour products and sample the benefits of henna for hair. Go ahead and make the switch!
(Disclaimer: At Health Shots, we make a constant effort to break the clutter for our readers. All products listed are carefully curated by the editorial team. But their price and availability may differ from the time of publication. If you buy something using these links in the story, we may earn a commission.)