Ladies, ajwain can fight acne, pimples and hair fall too!Published on: 26 January 2022, 13:00 pm IST
Ajwain is a staple in every Indian house and its box of spices. The round seeds not only make your food flavorsome and easy on the tummy, but also does more. Carom seeds provide essential nutrients to your body, keeping you healthy and fit. Hence, most of the Indian cuisines are incomplete without a sprinkle of carom seeds. But, do you know that the miracles of ajwain can also extend to your beauty regime? Hell yes!
Carom seeds have some extraordinary benefits for your skin, hair, and overall health. Ajwain seeds may just look tiny, but they are a storehouse of many Ayurvedic benefits.
Nutritionist Shikha Aggarwal Sharma spoke to Healthshots about the beauty benefits of this amazing spice.
“ Ajwain, a constant in Indian pantries, has several benefits for skin and hair too. Ajwain hair oil can combat hair fall, dandruff and dryness. People who suffer from acne scars can apply a face pack made with carom seeds and you will see your scars fade away with time,” says Sharma, who is also a Founder of Fat to Slim.
“Ajwain can also steadfast your metabolism. If you consume ajwain everyday, it helps you with increasing appetite, aids digestion, reduces cholesterol. This will eventually affect your skin appearance and give it a healthy glow,” says Sharma.
Ajwain can help you achieve that fresh glowing skin from the inside. But how? Drumroll! Here are all the ways you can include this ‘oh so good’ spice to reap beauty benefits.
1. Brightens the skin from within
Ajwain has blood purifying properties that cleanse the blood from within. According to a study on effectiveness of carom seeds by National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), this spice has loads of antiseptic and antibacterial properties. These qualities make them a great remedy for treating skin infections.
Here’s how you can make your own ajwain face pack:
- Crush a teaspoon of the spice in a mortar and pestle.
- Add a spoonful of curd to it.
- Mix to combine both.
- Using your fingers or a brush, apply it evenly on your face.
- Let it stay on for 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Always do a patch test on the back of your hand first to avoid any skin irritation.
2. Removes acne and pimples
Ajwain works efficiently in reducing the pain and redness caused by acne or pimples. In addition, it also contains high amounts of thymol which is an extremely potent antiseptic. According to the study by NCBI, carom seeds contain an essential oil containing about 50% thymol which is a strong germicide, antispasmodic and fungicide. This means it can fight off almost all infection causing germs on your skin. The gamma-terpinene in ajwain has anti-inflammatory properties. This prevents further infection and reduces inflammation.
Here’s how you can use it on your acne and pimples:
- Simply grind some ajwain in mortar and pestle.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice to it.
- Using a cotton ball dipped in the mix, apply the paste all over your face or spot-treat your pimple.
- Wash it off after 15 minutes using lukewarm water.
Ladies, not only this, ajwain is a hero ingredient for hair health too.
Here’s how to use ajwain to get healthy hair
1. Prevents premature graying of hair
It prevents premature graying of hair in both men and women. Using it on hair is known to strengthen the cells in your scalp. The nutrients of ajwain rejuvenate your hair and prevent the growth of gray hair.
2. Reduces hair loss and dandruff
If you’re shedding your hair each day and nothing seems to work, ajwain can! Carom seeds contain a compound known as p-cymene, which acts against the bacteria and other parasitic microorganisms that cause dandruff on your scalp. Ajwain oil has anti-hair fall properties, which can prevent hair breakage and make your hair cuticles strong.
You can use ajwain for hair care by making an effective DIY hair oil:
- Take a mixing bowl and pour a cup of coconut oil into it.
- Add a teaspoon of ajwain in the bowl.
- Place it in the oven and wait until it gets slightly warm.
- Massage your scalp and hair with the oil and leave it overnight.
- Wash off with shampoo the next morning.
- If you’re running short on time, use this hair oil 30 minutes prior to your hair wash routine.
Drinking ajwain water every morning can also ensure good overall health. This will make you reap all the great benefits of this wonderful ingredient from the inside.
Here’s how you can make ajwain water for yourself:
- Take a glass of water and add two tablespoons of dry carom seeds to it.
- Let them soak overnight.
- Using a spoon, mix the water well the next morning.
- Now strain out the seeds.
- Drink this water on an empty stomach.