Amla has been glorified as a superfood that can boost your digestive health, improve skin texture, strengthen immunity, and aid weight loss. But, these are the many benefits of its oral administration.
You’d be surprised to know that its topical administration is also quite beneficial—especially for your hair. Apart from the good-old amla oil, you can also cash in on these advantages by using amla powder on your hair.
The powder made by grinding naturally-dried amla (Indian gooseberry) or the leaves of its plant can be added to oils such as coconut oil or simply mixed with water and applied as a paste on the hair as well as scalp.
Here are some of the amazing benefits it can have for your hair:
1. It can boost your hair growth: According to a study published in the Journal of Pakistan Medical Association, topical use of this wonderful gift from Mother Nature can boost hair growth—all thanks to the presence of vitamin E in it. Basically, the vitamin’s antioxidant properties can fight off the free radicals and the oxidative stress on the scalp that otherwise causes the hair follicles on the scalp to break down, thus, preventing or slowing down hair growth.
2. It can help you get rid of dandruff: While the anti-inflammatory properties of amla can help treat dandruff.
The citric acid from its vitamin C content can help clear the build-up of dust and dirt on your scalp, allowing it to breathe and heal.
3. It can give you the shiny hair of your dreams: A clean, happy scalp also means shiny and strong hair as the state of your scalp will most certainly reflect in the healthy state of your hair. Thus, the conditioning powers of amla can boost your scalp health and, in turn, make your hair look shinier.
4. It can help you prevent greying of your hair: As per a study published in the journal Pharmacognosy Research, amla is extremely effective in fighting off the premature greying of hair due to its ability to boost the production the pigment responsible for giving the hair a dark colour.
5. It can solve lice problems as well: As gross as it sounds, but if you have lice in your hair, you can count on amla powder solution to solve this problem as well. Because according to a study conducted in 2014, it is more effective than all the over-the-counter lice-killing shampoos and oils that are also chemical-laden as well as harmful for your hair health.
So, ladies, go natural for haircare with amla powder and see the magic!