Moringa magic: 4 ways to use this wonder plant for beautiful skin and hair!
Nature has gifted us some brilliant plants like moringa. From helping us heal pain and build muscle, the benefits of moringa need to be extolled. You will be amazed to know that this wonder green is a glow booster for skin and volumiser for hair. Don’t believe us? An expert agrees with the same.
Sunayana Walia, an organic skincare expert and formulator, spoke to Healthshots and shared some tall praises about moringa.
Walia says, “Moringa is a small leaf plant that is often referred to as the ‘miracle tree’ and rightly so! It is native to India and is a superfood that only helps in boosting energy levels and enhancing mood but is also a guardian angel for skin and hair.”
Here are 7 benefits of moringa for long hair and radiant skin:
- “Moringa and the oil derived from its seeds contain Vitamins A, C and E. It closely relates to the natural sebum produced by our skin which makes it the perfect hydrator,” Walia told Healthshots.
- It is non-fragrant which makes it safe for application for people with fragrance allergies and acne.
- This green plant brims with several antioxidants such as quercetin and zeatin which protects your skin from free radical damage and helps delay the signs of ageing. This magical ingredient reduces fine lines and wrinkles and improves the all over texture of skin like none other.
- “Moringa is an excellent source of Oleic acid and Amino acids that keeps your skin and hair moisturised. It also helps in replenishing and reviving dull skin by guarding skin against moisture loss,” says Walia.
- It also helps in replenishing and reviving dull skin by guarding skin against moisture loss. Being rich in Vitamin C (7 times more in comparison to an orange), it visibly lightens dark spots and hyper-pigmentation which is a common issue in Indian skin.
- Moringa has soothing properties and generally suits all skin and hair types and also works well with most ingredients and combinations.
- It can be included in your AM and PM beauty regime.
DIY face and hair masks to reap the benefits of moringa:
1. Moringa and amla hair mask
Combine one tablespoon of moringa powder with some yoghurt and apply all over your scalp and hair. Additionally, if you like you can also add 1 teaspoon of amla powder to it. This is one of the simplest and most effective hair masks as the goodness of moringa and yoghurt combined together detoxifies the scalp, nourishes the hair and boosts hair growth. It also inhibits dandruff and soothes the scalp by fighting inflammation and itchiness.
2. Moringa facial oil
Walia suggests, “Another very simple way of reaping the benefits of moringa is by using its oil. Moringa seed oil can be used to massage both face and hair. One can also apply it on their lips to condition chapped lips. Moringa oil is also a saviour for people with dry skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis.”
3. Oatmeal scrub with moringa
To gently exfoliate your skin, combine 1 tablespoon moringa powder with 1 teaspoon oatmeal and a few drops of rose water. Adjust the consistency as per your liking and apply all over your face, excluding the eyes. Once semi dry, gently scrub it off with wet fingers. This dual scrub and mask is best for sensitive skin.
4. Moringa and multani mitti mask
To cool and soothe your skin in summer, simply combine some moringa powder and clay (multani mitti) with aloe vera gel and apply all over your face and neck. This also decongests clogged pores and gives skin a radiant glow.
Ladies, what are you waiting for? Go on and try this nature’s gift called moringa. Don’t forget to share these DIY ‘nuskhe’ with your friends and family.