For ages, curd has been used as a beauty ingredient, especially to treat hair woes. Whether it is dry scalp or dandruff, you may have been recommended to use curd by your mother or grandmother. Ever wondered why? Well, curd is rich in several vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids especially lactic acid, calcium, vitamin C, zinc, potassium, vitamin A and E, biotin and proteins, vitamin B12, and healthy bacteria, which all contribute to healthy looking hair with high luster and sheen. However, while curd or dahi is a perfect solution for many hair woes, according to an expert, there are certain harmful effects of curd for hair as well.
HealthShots spoke to Dr Rinky Kapoor, Consultant Dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist, and Dermato-Surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics, to find the pros and cons of curd for hair health.
According to Dr Kapoor, “Curd is an age-old remedy for almost all hair woes and works on all kinds of hair such as dry, oily or normal.”
* Enhances the natural look of hair
* Prevents hair loss
* Nourishes and moisturizes the scalp (lactic acid)
* Promotes hair growth (biotin and Vitamin B12)
* Removes the dead skin cells from the scalp (vitamin C and zinc and lactic acid)
* It reduces dandruff ( because of Propionibacterium microbe)
* Balances scalp pH
Curd might not be suitable for everyone, especially those who are lactose intolerant. It can cause allergic reactions. One must always do a patch test before using it on the scalp. Fresh curd is better than old curd.
Dr Kapoor said, “Another side effect is that it can make the scalp oily and greasy if not washed properly. Also, sometimes it can leave a strong smell behind which can be embarrassing.”
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
The best way to use curd for glossy and shiny hair is to make some homemade hair masks to add to its benefits.
This mask is effective for strengthening hair roots and improving hair growth.
* Soak some fenugreek seeds overnight and mix with 2 tablespoons of curd.
* Apply on the scalp and leave for 15 mins.
* Wash off with a gentle shampoo.
This coconut oil and curd hair mask is excellent for moisturizing the hair.
* Take 1 part of coconut oil and warm it up in the microwave, mix some honey in it to make a smooth mix.
* When it cools down, add enough fresh curd to cover the scalp.
* Mix well and apply on scalp, hair roots, and tips.
* Leave it for 30 mins and wash normally.
For strengthening the hair, mix curd with olive oil and basil leaves and leave on hair for 30 minutes and wash.
Curd mixed with a few drops of lemon juice is the instant remedy for scalp itchiness.
Add 1 tablespoon of besan to half a cup of curd and use this mask on the scalp for relief from dandruff.
For controlling severe hair fall, mix curd and black pepper and massage it on your scalp. This improves the blood circulation in the scalp. Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing.