Let these 5 home-made hair masks work their magic on your mane
Pampering yourself is not a luxury—it’s a right! Think about it: our hair gets damaged frequently but we are unable to provide it with the regular nourishment that it deserves, putting off that “hair spa” session as a luxury that can wait. The result? Dull and damaged mane! The truth is you don’t need to take those expensive trips to the salon to keep your hair healthy. More often than not, the secret to healthy hair is already in our kitchen.
Hair masks made with natural ingredients are a brilliant way to give our locks benefits like softness, hydration, growth, volume, texture, shine, and even the ability to fight off infections.
So, let your hair reap the benefits by indulging in these five DIY hair mask recipes that will help nourish, protect, and moisturize your hair:
1. Hibiscus hair mask
The naturally-occurring amino acids in hibiscus flowers provide the hair with nutrients that promote hair growth. These amino acids produce an important structural protein called keratin, which is the building block of hair.
Here are some products that you can try:
Keratin binds the hair makes them less prone to breakage and also helps with the overall thickness of hair strands, making them more manageable. Apart from making the hair roots strong, a hair mask with hibiscus will also help in preventing premature greying of hair.
This is how you can make the mask at home:
- Grind 3-4 hibiscus leaves and 1 Hibiscus flower to make a paste.
- To the paste, add about a cup of yoghurt (works as a hydrating agent, removes dead cells and dandruff and makes the hair soft).
- Apply this mask on your hair and leave it on for an hour. Wash off with lukewarm water and shampoo your hair using a mild cleanser.
2. Curry-leaf hair mask
Curry leaves are rich in antioxidants which help keep your hair healthy and strong. Not just that, curry leaves are also a good source of proteins and beta-carotene, both of which prevent hair loss and thinning.
The amino acids in curry leaf also strengthen hair follicles, so a paste made with this ingredient will work amazingly for hair growth and overall nourishment.
- Blend the curry leaves into a thick paste with a dash of water. Add 3-4 tablespoons of yoghurt
- Mix the two ingredients well until they form a smooth paste
- Massage the paste onto your scalp and hair. Ensure that all of your hair is covered in it from roots to the tips.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it off with shampoo.
3. Banana hair mask
Bananas are rich in antioxidants and have antibacterial properties. Applying banana to your scalp can add moisture and also rid your scalp of microscopic irritants causing dandruff symptoms.
Not just that, banana can also give your scalp and hair a stronger defence system and decrease oxidative stress, which can make your hair look brittle and aged. And if these magical qualities weren’t enough, a banana-based mask can also strengthen hair follicles and help in growing the hair longer.
- Peel and mash 1 banana with your hands. Blend it with one egg in a mixer until smooth.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, paying special attention to your scalp and any split ends.
- Leave it in for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse the mask thoroughly with a shampoo.
- Refrain from using hot water to avoid “baking” the egg while it’s in your hair.
4. Methi seeds hair mask
This miracle ingredient is an age-old remedy for hair loss and thinning. It stimulates blood flow in the scalp and nourishes the hair follicles to promote faster and healthier new growth.
It also boasts a high mucilage content, which makes detangling of hair extremely easy. So a fenugreek seed hair mask is a great choice for you if you have dry, coarse, or frizzy hair because it will increase manageability of hair and restore the shine and bounce as well.
- Mix 1 tablespoon fenugreek seed powder with 5 to 6 tablespoons yoghurt in a bowl.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil to the mixture along with 1/4 cup water.
- Set the mixture aside for 2 to 3 hours.
- Apply this mask to your scalp and hair. Put on your shower cap or wrap your head in a muslin cloth or a towel.
- Leave this on for 20-30 minutes, then rinse off thoroughly. Wash with shampoo and let your hair dry naturally.
5. Egg yolk hair mask
Eggs are your go-to ingredient for intensive protein hair treatment. Egg yolk is rich in protein, vitamins, fatty acids and vitamins like A, D, and E and hence, promote hair growth and prevent hair fall.
- To two egg yolks and add 2 teaspoons of olive oil (strengthens and softens your hair, while exfoliating it).
- Mix well and add half a cup of water.
- Apply the mixture evenly across your scalp using your fingers.
- Once you’ve applied the mixture, wear a shower cap to let the mixture permeate your hair to the very roots for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse the mask thoroughly out of your hair with a shampoo and refrain from using hot water to avoid “baking” the egg while it’s in your hair.
So, ladies, go natural when it comes to hair care and opt for these hair masks for your mane!