Stuck with greasy hair even after washing it? An expert suggest 5 ways to fix it
One thing that we can’t put up with is having oily or greasy hair. Simply put, they are repulsive. No matter how much you try to manage them, the oil buildup on your scalp makes your hair appear brittle, grimy or greasy. An excessively greasy scalp can also lead to uncomfortable itching and serve as a haven for the fungus that causes dandruff. Now, you may manage this by shampooing your hair. But have you ever wondered why even after washing, your hair is oily or greasy? Read on to find out!
How to get rid of greasy hair?
You should not completely strip off all your oil. Your natural oils are essential for a healthy scalp, lustrous hair, and for the protection of the hair. Does that imply that you will never be able to completely remove grease from your hair? Well, no. You need to first understand the underlying causes of this issue and then follow the solutions.
Causes of greasy and oily hair even after washing:
Health Shots reached out to Dr Amit Bangia, Associate Director, dermatology Asian Hospital, to understand the causes behind greasy hair.
According to Dr Bangia, “After a few days, grease and oil are common. However, if your hair is greasy after a fresh wash, something is probably wrong.” Here are all the causes of it:
1. Seborrhoea: Seborrhoea, a disorder that produces excessive amounts of oil and sebum and makes the scalp appear oily, may be the cause of excessively greasy hair.
2. Wrong hair product: Using a product that isn’t designed for oily hair might also cause an oil buildup.
3. Unhealthy diet: Dairy and high-glycemic foods might impact levels of androgen hormones, which may affect how much sebum the skin generates.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
4. Oily hair: Having naturally oily hair may also contribute to greasy hair that persists even after washing. In fact, hair that is straight or silky is more likely to get greasy.
5. Pollution: Residing in a polluted environment may impair the health of your scalp, which can lead to a number of hair problems, including greasy hair, hair damage, and dandruff.
Apart from them, unhealthy hair care habits are also responsible for greasy hair. Here they are:
- Your hair is either over conditioned or your conditioner is too strong.
- You’re washing your hair with warm water.
- You might not be washing your hair properly or you might be washing your hair too frequently, which would disrupt the production of sebum.
- Wax, cream, and oil-based hair care treatments can also make your hair greasier.
- Hormonal imbalance can also lead to excessive oil production, which can leave hair feeling greasy after washing.
Here’s how to deal with greasy hair without damaging your hair or irritating your scalp:
1. Avoid over-conditioning
Avoid washing your hair and using conditioner regularly. It is not a right practice. Doing so can create frizzy and greasy hair. Remember your hair ends need it more than your scalp or roots. Also, be sure to wash your hair.
2. Use tea tree oil
Dr Bangia suggests using a tree oil- based shampoo as it has the capacity to dry the hair and soak the oil.” You can also directly use tea tree oil to massage your scalp. It will help you control dandruff, reduce greasiness, treat itchiness and cleans scalp and hair
3. Avoid hair styling products
Avoid hair straightening as much as possible. Styling products like wax and conditioners often makes your hair more oily.
4. Moisturize hair properly
Regularly moisturize your hair. And not only hair, moisturise the scalp and roots because these are the places where oil accumulates in addition to the hair. When your hair is well-hydrated, it looks stronger overall, has shinier strands, and has improved scalp health.
5. Apply a homemade scrub
- One spoon of refined sugar and two spoons of multani mitti should be added to a bowl.
- Mix in some fresh aloe vera in the bowl.
- Add 1/2 spoon of rose water to the thick paste you’ve created to make it smooth and lighter.
- By dividing the hair, apply it to the scalp, and leave on for 20 minutes.