Weekend hair care: Make this DIY hair spa cream for long and shiny hairPublished on: 19 February 2022, 12:00 pm IST
Haircare is as important as nourishing your body with all the seasonal fruits and leafy greens. After all, your crown of hair needs fixing sometimes! While hair fall, dandruff, and dullness may wreak havoc on the dreams of a ‘good hair day’, a little care can make your hair bounce with joy. Just like this DIY hair spa at home using just three ingredients! It’s super easy to do but as effective as a salon-like intense hair treatment.
During the time of the pandemic, we all realized that kitchen-based hair care can work similarly good or even better than store-bought products. Especially, when you do not have the access to go out and buy products, one may turn to the Indian holistic beauty center, called the kitchen. This homemade spa cream is bound to give you the same voluminous, shiny locks you aspire to get from an expensive salon appointment.
Dr Debeshi Bhattacharjee, an award-winning clinical cosmetologist spoke to HealthShots about this 3-ingredient super hair spa cream and its effects on hair problems like hair fall, dandruff and dullness.
“Since it is kitchen based, these effective and quickly accessible elements can bring the A-game forward for your hair. It is a good budget DIY for the people. Especially for students who don’t want to shell out too much money on high-end conditioners. When it comes to DIY hair masks, one has to find the right DIY recipe to unravel its benefits. So basically, this hair spa cream’s ingredients like aloe vera, coconut oil and vitamin E will be a conditioning agent for people who have brittle hair or have frizziness on their hair”, says Dr Bhattacharjee, who is also the Head and Founder of Lueur Aesthetics.
Here’s how to make this hair spa cream at home for shiny and long hair:
- Take a mixing bowl, add 1 scoop of cold pressed coconut oil to it.
- Add a spoonful of fresh aloe vera gel to this.
- A clear and pure store-bought aloe vera gel works equally well for this spa cream.
- Pierce through 2 capsules of vitamin E oil and squeeze them into the bowl.
- Whisk together until you achieve a frothy cream-like consistency.
How to give yourself at-home hair spa treatment:
- Start by detangling your hair.
- Make 4 sections of your hair. Leaving one, secure the three on your head using a section clip or a hair clutcher.
- Now place a dollop of your spa cream on your palm and rub your hands together to heat the product slightly.
- Now, using the praying hand motion, spread the spa cream evenly on the section of your hair.
- Pay much attention to the dead and parched ends of the hair.
- Repeating the same process, saturate the product in all your locks.
- Once done, wear a shower cap and let your hair enjoy some nutrition.
- Let it sit on your hair for 30-45 minutes.
- Wash your hair off using a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Air dry your hair using a microfiber towel. Curly-haired girls can plop their curls or use a low heat setting on the hair diffuser.
This simple hair spa at home will give a dazzling shine to your mane without burning a hole in your pocket. Repeat the treatment once every week and the results will follow.
Benefits of this hair spa cream:
Listing the benefits of this treatment, Dr Bhattacharjee says, “Coconut oil is one of the ancient oils that has been used for hair conditioning due to its hair cuticle moisturizing properties. Combining it with aloe vera will further strengthen your hair eliminating the hair fall. Aloe vera is packed with antifungal and antioxidant properties that will get rid of the dandruff from the scalp while preventing its occurrence. Vitamin E will not only hydrate your tresses but also repair the signs of damage like dullness, frizz and hair breakage.”
A word of caution
“Additionally, I would like to suggest that patients who have some kind of scalp issues or disorders need to avoid using it. Such people should stick to the prescribed treatment for their hair. However, for the people who need to nourish their hair externally may go ahead with this anti-frizz hair spa cream.” adds Dr Bhattacharjee.