Excessive sun exposure causes our skin to become tanned, lose elasticity, prematurely age, and may result in sunburns. What about your hair, though? Your hair may become dry, dull, discoloured, fragile, and prone to split ends as well! That is why you should treat your hair like skin and protect it from potential damage. We’re here to share a few home remedies to protect hair from sun.
Effect of sunlight on hair
The harmful sun rays are damaging your hair and scalp too! It sounds shocking to many, but it is the truth. While the summer sun brings out the highlights of your luscious locks, it also makes the hair dry and brittle.
Health Shots spoke to Dr Rinky Kapoor, Consultant Dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist, and Dermato-Surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics, who says, “Harmful UV rays can cause damage to the hair follicles and even cause sunburn on the scalp.” You can easily maintain the colour and hydration levels of your hair with a little care, especially during the summer months.
The best way to protect hair from sun damage, according to Dr Kapoor, is with hair sunscreen. Yes, just like before you step out into the summer and you slather your skin with sunscreen. In the same way, you need to protect your hair as well! She says, “You should use hair sunscreen every day. Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before stepping out. Reapply every three hours.”
Here are simple homemade hair sunscreen and hair mask recipes
1. Grapeseed essential oil hair sunscreen
You’ll need 10-20 drops of grapeseed essential oil and 200 ml of rose water.
Mix grapeseed essential oil with rose water in a bowl.
Transfer it in a spray bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
Spray this mixture on your hair before stepping out.
2. Invest in a good conditioner. Regular conditioning brings back the moisture to your hair and it also offers protection when you go out swimming in a pool or at the beach.
3. Use coconut oil before getting into water.
4. Avoid using extra heat in the form of straighteners and dryers. The hair is already exposed to UV rays, and the dryer heat will only suck more moisture out of it. If you have to use styling equipment, then make sure you use it at a cold or minimum heat setting and apply a serum to protect your hair before use.
5. Choose products that protect your hair colour. This will help protect your hair and effectively moisturize it.