The ‘Rapunzel’ regime: 4 DIY rice water methods to get healthy hairPosted on:21 September 2021, 16:00pm IST
Download App Now Read in app
Do you want to be the next Rapunzel? Well, who doesn’t! After all, long hair doesn’t just help to enhance your appearance, and strong and shiny tresses are always a sign of good health. But how can you become a real-life Rapunzel?
The answer is simple, rice water!
From split ends, damaged and dry hair, hair fall, thinning hair, dandruff to dullness—there is barely any hair problem that cannot be treated with rice water. Rice water is essentially water that has been left behind, after you’ve cooked or soaked rice. Turns out, rice water can do wonders for your hair.
This cloudy white liquid is a storehouse of some powerful vitamins and minerals, which are an excellent source of nourishment for your skin and hair. This ancient practice was popular among women in China, Japan, and southeast Asia.
Studies reveal that rice water contains inositol, a carbohydrate that repairs damaged hair. It also contains amino acids that strengthen the hair roots, increase hair volume and make your hair shiny and smooth. In every possible way, rice water is great for your hair, because it is safe, natural, and has absolutely no side- effects.
Try these DIY rice water-based hair rinses for best results:
1. Rice water and onion juice
Using a combination of rice water and onion juice can provide you with powerful conditioning, which leaves the hair shiny and soft. Onion contains powerful elements such as folic acid, sulphur, and vitamin C, which helps reduce breakage, and thinning of hair.
In fact, a research published on PubMed Central shows the positive effects of topical application of onion for hair loss.
- Soak one cup of rice with two cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Strain the rice and collect the water in a bowl, and refrigerate it.
- Meanwhile, chop half an onion, and add it to a blender. Blend it, until it turns into a paste.
- Now, run the pulp through a sieve to obtain the juice.
- Add this onion juice into the rice water. Mix it well.
- After mixing, take the hair rinse on your palms and apply it to your hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it off using shampoo to reduce the smell of onion.
2. Rice water and honey
Rice water contains amino acids, which help strengthen the roots and repair hair damage. The vitamin E, B, and antioxidants content helps promote hair growth and retains moisture in the hair. On the other hand, honey is an emollient and has antioxidant properties, which moisturizes the hair and reduces breakage.
- Follow the same process to prepare rice water.
- Heat one cup of rice water and add honey to it, stir it well.
- Let it brew for 5-10 minutes. After that, strain the mixture.
- Wash your hair the way you generally do and apply the hair rinse to your hair, starting from roots and then along the length of your hair.
Note: It’s ideal to use warm water, in order to open up the pores on the scalp, allowing for better absorption of the hair rinse.
5. Wait for 10-15 minutes before washing it out.
Tip: You can skip washing it out and let your hair dry, after applying the hair rinse.
3. Rice water and orange peel
Orange peel offers a wide range of hair benefits, such as reducing dandruff and oiliness, because it contains high quantities of vitamin C and has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Together with rice water, this mixture can restore hair health and can give you shiny, long, and thick hair growth.
- Add three cups of water to one cup of rice in a bowl. Let it sit for at least two hours.
- Place this water in a clear jar and fill it with orange peels or ginger to get rid of odour. This will also provide extra nutrients from these ingredients.
- Keep this jar in a cool and dry place, away from the sunlight.
- After washing your hair with a mild shampoo, take the mixture and massage it on your scalp for about 10 minutes.
- Next, rinse it with cold water. You can repeat this twice or thrice a week.
4. Rice water and green tea
The green tea-infused rice water is enriched with natural ingredients that help to repair and strengthen weak, damaged, and brittle hair. This mixture has conditioning properties that can add a healthy radiance to your hair, reduce dullness, provide smoothness, and boost scalp health.
- Heat one cup of water and add a green tea bag to it, allowing this mixture to brew.
- Add one cup of rice water to the brewed green tea. Your hair rinse is ready!
- To apply, remember to use this cleanser after shampooing, gently massaging hair and scalp, and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes before washing it out.
Use these rinses and see the results!